Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Mothers' fiction

Since I am a first-time mother, it is only fitting that I want to read novels or non-fiction accounts of motherhood. I just finished The Stone Diaries and the novel's account of one woman's journey through a life unfulfilled really affected me. I'm also working on Rachel's Cusk's memoir of her experiences as a first-time mother, A Life's Work: On becoming a mother, which is both funny and sad in turn. Controversial too, since Cusk doesn't mince words and is honest about her conflicting feelings of being a mother, woman and writer at the same time.
I'm thinking about some other titles that might go into a "mother fiction" category on my bookshelf -- some funny, some sad, some downright disturbing (Re: Loverboy by Victoria Redel and her mother character's desperate obsession with her own son). Motherkind by Jayne Anne Phillips is a great novel about the mother-child relationships, both mother-daughter and the daughter's relationship with her newborn son. What other titles would YOU recommend?

No comments: