Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Rwanda

Ever since viewing "Hotel Rwanda" back in February, I can't get this film out of my mind. I picked up Philip Gourevitch's 1998 nonfiction work, We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed with Our Families: stories from Rwanda, and have not been able to put it down. It is incomprehensible to me that the world turned such a blind eye to the carnage and massacre that went on in that small African country in 1994. It amazes me that there are people like Paul Rusesabagina existing in such utter chaos and triumphing over such lack of humanity. He is featured in Gourevitch's work, which outlines the history of the conflict between the two ethnic groups, Hutus and Tutsis, and tells the story of those who fought and those who survived. Powerful...

No comments: